Sunday, July 20, 2008

Houston? I don't even know her!

Blogging is tough without a laptop so I've gotta do it when I can. Right now I'm in the back lounge of the bus and we're parked outside the Houston venue. Alexa is inside sound checking, Vanessa and Jen are off on the never ending search for fresh vegetables and Ali is buried under piles of merch.
I can't believe its only the 5th show of this tour, it feels like its been a year since we left LA! I've adjusted pretty quickly for a newbie and think I could get used to this kind of transient kind of life....Lessons learned:
No number two on the bus EVER
No talking in the bunk area
Short people can and should sleep on the top bunk
Plugs are more precious than gold
Bus drivers have a lot of good stories
Touring with girls is essential
Hotel pools are the place to be
Coffee is hard to find in Texas
Walmart is evil but necessary
Girls in Texas are very touchy feely
You can and should sneak into the hotel hot tub at 2 am
People eat fried chicken gizzards
Friday night in Austin is insane

We started off in Arizona with two great shows in Tempe and Phoenix. I don't remember much because I was so uptight about getting everything right and meeting everyone on the bus. Once we hit Texas however, everything changed. The band sounds like a band, the people on the bus are now my family, privacy has gone out the window (as has shame) and the crowds are getting rowdier and more fun as we go along.

Gotta go put my face on and watch Alexa kick ass in her set. After Alexa, its Vanessa's turn and she's a true pro and and an amazing performer. I'm learning a lot from these ladies.

more to come!

xo,
Laura

4 comments:

William Kates said...

Great blog, thanks for doing it, hope I can see you play sometime. Cheers!

P.S. Is there any restaurant in Texas that doesn't have "world famous BBQ"?

Anonymous said...

Great blogging Laura!! I hope to see you when you all come into seattle. Take care!!

-Christine-

ally said...

i missed you tonight lady! come talk to me when you get back to the bus! i have much to say!

lovelovelove...

Anonymous said...

:( Tucson not Tempe...